At our last meeting on June 26, we had another Civil War Trivia Quiz. Many of the questions required the viewer to identify a person, place or thing in a photograph which was briefly shown to everyone. Interspersed were some verbal questions. How good are you? We had one person (Bob Carlson, our new president) get all of them right. So here goes . . .
The answers are at the bottom of the page.
The verbal questions:
15. In what city was the first capital of the Confederacy?
16. What big job in the federal government did Jeff Davis have before the CW?
17. Who was the on-site military commander at Harpers Ferry in October 1859, capturing John Brown?
18. Who was William Lloyd Garrison?
19. Was Missouri one of the states that seceded from the Union?
20. Name another fort on the east coast similar to Fort Sumter.
- From the monument to the 15th Massachusetts in the West Woods at Antietam. [This monument was carved in Holden, Massachusetts, not more than 100 yards from where we hold our meetings.]
- Statue of Gen. Warren at Little Round Top, Gettysburg.
- The Bloody Lane at Antietam.
- Gen. Ambrose Burnside.
- Gen. Joshua Chamberlain
- Devils Den, at Gettysburg
- Dunker Church at Antietam
- The seminary at Gettysburg.
- The fire station at Harpers Ferry where John Brown was captured.
- John Burns, a civilian in Gettysburg who fought against the invading Confederates.
- Gen. Lew Wallace.
- The Virginia monument at Gettysburg.
- Gen. Thomas Jackson
- 12-Pounder Napoleon cannon.
- Montgomery, Alabama
- Secretary of War
- Captain Robert E. Lee
- Abolitionist and editor of The Liberator
- Missouri did not secede.
- Many answers, some are Fort McHenry, Fort Warren, Fort Pulaski, Fort Taylor, Fort Jefferson.